Friday, September 16, 2011

Sheath

Almost completed sheath. Just needs a belt loop and I'm thinking about adding a wrap-around snap to secure the knife.




Used a tutorial (with google translate). Basically a front, spacer, and then back sewed together with dacron B50. Cuir-bouilli hardened leather. I soaked the sewn sheath in hot water (which I couldn't keep my hand in for more than a second or less) for about 10 min. Then I oiled my knife (I recomend waxing, because it still started rusting even with the oil on) and placed the knife into the sheath. I put the whole thing in my dehydrator set to 140F for about 1 hour. I think I pulled the knife out after 30 min. or so.

I dyed it black with a absolutely putrid smelling black vinegar dye I made. Man that stuff it nasty! I had to put the sheath outside for a few hours to get most of the smell out of it.

That's it for now!
Zachary

No comments:

Post a Comment