Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 1 - Collecting the Wood for the Bow

Wednesday, February 23, 2011:

I went to go pick out a good size straight log of bodark--also known as Bois d'arc, Osage Orange, and Horse Apple--for my bow. There were plenty of pieces of bodark lying around, but they weren't suitable for bow making. Anything with many cracks or twisted bark I can't use for a bow. We actually found a perfect size and grain log, but ripping the bark apart, we found that it was ant-infested. Ah well.

The man who owned the property was kind enough to cut a green piece off of one of his trees. Even better since a green limb will be easier to work with. I coated the ends of the log with wood glue to prevent the wood from drying to quickly and cracking as a result. To give you an idea of just how big this thing is, I uploaded a few pictures.



I hope to split it into staves very soon. Maybe tomorrow? I'll make sure to give you guys updates on how it goes.

Zachary

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've never bow-hunted, but as you can tell from my profile picture, hunting is definitely a hobby of mine. I look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) I didn't know bowyer was a word, and
    B) I didn't know they made bows out of logs like that! That's huge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, that's a relatively small diameter for making a bow, but since it's my first, it should be fine. The bigger piece the better; you want to get as straight a grain as possible. (the larger diameter will have a less curved grain since it has a bigger circumference...if you get what I mean...)

    Whatever I don't use, I'll dry and keep for firewood, bodark burns very hot. I've heard that it's banned in some cities because if it's burnt with too much moisture still in it, it can explode!

    ReplyDelete