Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blacksmithing - Using my Homemade Forge (Videos)

My Homemade Forge!
Recently, I've gotten interested in blacksmithing--partly because I really want to make some arrows for my osage bow (not yet completed) and partly because I like doing things with fire so it seemed really interesting and useful to me.

So here are some videos of the process of finding out if a piece of metal is hardenable and therefore able to keep an edge whether it be a knife or an arrowhead, etc.





Zachary

5 comments:

  1. love this Zach! Just make sure you return my hair blower. hehe
    love you ~ your mamie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! But what are you going to do with the broken pieces?

    Grant ~ ->s of Victory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably nothing special, Grant. I might use them for an arrow head, but I'm doubtful I'll have enough metal for that. The break test was just that--a test. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a genius! The way you figured out how to do all that is really nice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Zach! My first forge was a coffee can forge with my mothers hair dryer as well, haha! I have since upgraded (if you can call it that) to a plug-in air mattress blower-up'er. I made three crude but functional bodkins and I can't wait to heat some more steel again!

    ReplyDelete