Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Knife Handle Progress

Some progress on the rasp knife I've been working on.





Toasted Osage Orange (Bodark) handle with blackened steel rivets. I blackened the steel by heating it up over the fire and then dunking them into some olive oil. Seemed to do the trick.

I recently drilled a small lanyard hole on the end that looks rather nifty.

 Oh, and I'd like to hear your opinion on this variation? To me it seems to complete the handle, but what are your thoughts?



Next time, it'll be heat treating at the blacksmith's. I'll make sure to take some pictures of the process.

Zachary

4 comments:

  1. Wow that's awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    It's actually not done yet though. I've got to work on getting my forge up and running to harden the metal so it can hold an edge. Then I'm re-doing the handle scales because I lost one of them somehow. I also don't like how the handle scales turned out anyhow.

    ReplyDelete