Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Short-Bow Update

Half-way done chasing the ring on the bow.
Finally, I'm done chasing the ring on the back of the bow. It's taken me about 10 hours here and there. Those hours ticked by pretty quick though... I was really enjoying it. The color of the wood is amazing! As Osage Orange gets older, the wood deepens in color from yellow to a dark orange.



What's next for me to do? Well now I have to shape the bow. More than one person on some primitive forums said that mollegabet (the design I was going to use) was the last design they would use for a small bow (Mine's 50") I'm going to go with tapered sides. Probably 1.25" at the handle and .5" at the tips.

4 comments:

  1. Good going Zach! I hope to start soon! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it probably doesn't seem like it to you, but you're coming along pretty quickly! Do you plan to take it hunting or just use it for target practice?

    The only time I can recall spending 10+ hours on something like this is when I was making a European mount of the dear in my profile picture. Luckily I had lots of free time and was able to get it done in less than a week, but it was still very, very time consuming. It's such a good feeling after it's all said and done to look at your creation and know that it was worth it.



    Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to take it hunting sometime.. but in the meantime I'll probably be target practicing and making more bows.

    Yeah, that is such a good feeling. I'm definitely looking forward to the finished bow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really have anyone to go hunting with down here. At least no one that I know personally. If you could pray that an opportunity comes up, that would be awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete